Dock In Absolute is a stellar trio from Luxembourg comprised of young musicians who breathed new life into the music scene. With a shared love of music, they combine different styles of progressive Jazz, classical and rock, playing the pianist’s own compositions and co-created their unique jazz style in 2012. Its music is sparkling, varying, forceful, pressing, rich in twists and turns in mood: from lyrical to unrestrainable, from wild to graceful, from virtuosic and crystalline to assertive and dramatic, from subdued to airy and demonstrative. It can be charged-up one moment and calm the next, then take off again to reach vibrant sounds. An endless variety of melodic cells, often with a hypnotic pattern, alternating against a flamboyant, bright sonic background with unfaltering dynamics, never a half-way approach from this trio. Dock In Absolute proves that Jazz has myriads of stories to tell: thus, it should be allowed free rein.
The trio presented its music to many Festivals and venues including the:
- (JP) Tokyo Jazz Festival, Yokohama Jazz Promenade, Nango Jazz Festival, Hida Takayama Jazz Festival
- (CN) Hong Kong International Jazz Festival, French May Festival, 9 Gates Festival Beijing, Shenzhen Fringe Festival, Beishan Jazz Festival, JZ Club Shanghai
- (SGP) Singapore Jazz In July
- (TW) Taichung Jazz Festival
- (KR) Jarasum Int’l Jazz Festival, Jazz in Daegu Festival, Jeju Jazz Festival
- (IDN) JGTC Festival Jakarta
- (IND) Shisha Festival, Kolkata Jazz Festival
- (USA) San Jose Jazz Festival
- (UK) Edinburgh Jazz Festival, Liverpool Jazz Festival, Vortex London
- (NL) Amersfoort Jazz Festival, Lantaren Venster
- (BE) Brussels Jazz Marathon, Walter Bruxelles, L’an Vert liege, Festival de Visé
- (FR) Paris Jazz Festival à la Cité, Duc des Lombards, Pan Piper Paris,Têtes de Jazz Avignon, So Jazz Festival,Tourcoing Jazz, D’Jazz Kabaret Festival Dijon, Le Phénix Valenciennes, Jammin Juan, Brides Jazz Festival
- (DE) Stuttgart Musik Fest, B-Flat Berlin, Palatia Jazz Festival, Unterfahrt München, Völklinger Hüttenjazz Festival
- (IT) Jazzit Festival Torino, Südtirol Jazz Festival, Spoleto Jazz Season
- (LU) Like a Jazz Machine, Luxembourg Jazz Meeting
- (CA) Ottawa Jazz Festival
- (EE) Jazzkaar Festival Tallinn
- (UA) Alfa Jazz Festival, Jazz Bez Festival, Odessa Jazz Festival, Vinnitsa Jazz Festival
- (RU) Jazz May Penza Festival, Jazz Province Festival, VR Jazz Fest
- (RO) Sibiu Jazz Festival, Ploiesti Jazz Festival, Brasov Blues and Jazz Festival
- (BG) A to Jazz Festival
- (PL) Jazz et Litterature Festival, Studio S5
- (HU) Babel Jazz Festival
- (MX) Eurojazz Festival, Polanco Jazz Festival
- (CYP) Aglan Jazz Festival
- (MAR) Jazz au Chellah Festival…
Dock In Absolute also brought his first album out in 2017, recorded at the Bauer Studios, under the Label CAM JAZZ and the second one going to be released in 2019.
Dock In Absolute has recently been named the “Export Artist of the Year” by music:LX in result of being the most active band in Luxembourg.
Their fresh approach to jazz allowed them to push boundaries, to touch a wide audience and to explore the potential of new unique wave of sounds while adding strength to the jazz field.
Jean-Philippe Koch (Piano, Composition)
Jean-Philippe Koch started learning the piano at the age of four and went on to study at the Luxembourg Conservatoire. At the age of 17, he continued at the Musikhochschule in Saarbrücken, and completed a Master’s degree course at the Liège Royal Conservatoire, where he graduated with ‘grande distinction’ and also won the prize for the highest mark in his Master’s course. Having also studied in Berklee College of Music in Boston, as well as at the Codarts University of Arts Rotterdam, he has been awarded a scholarship by Berklee for his studies.
Always on the lookout for new approaches to piano, Jean-Philippe has attended many master classes. Alongside this, he obtained Baccalaureates in composition, musical analysis and musical notation.
In 2014, he became piano teacher at the Conservatoire de Luxembourg.
Jean-Philippe has recorded many Cds, the last one with his father, Philippe (violin), and his sister, Laurence (violin), as part of the Koch Trio. This CD has been nominated at the ‘International Classic Music Awards’. The Trio played inter alia at the Berliner Philharmonie, Luxembourg Philharmonie, Christophori Salon in Berlin, Paris Goethe Institut, London Conway Hall, Dublin, Madrid … and continues to present its music to the world.
Jean-Philippe was awarded the gold medal, with a special commendation from the panel of judges, at the UGDA International Young Soloists Competition in Luxembourg. In the same year, he was also awarded the SACEM Prize, the EMCY (European Union of Music Competitions for Youth) Prize and the prize for the best composition for piano at the Artistes en Herbe international composition competition.
DAVID KINTZIGER (E-Bass)
Originating from several renowned schools in Belgium, David Kintziger decides to develop his creative knowledge with an intention to devote it to an intergenerational audience. Passionate about guitar, bass and percussions since his teenage years, he studies jazz harmony, writing, ensemble music as well as electric fretless bass and double bass at the “Académie de Jazz Marcel Désiron” in Amay. Eclectic musician, he then attends improvisation and polyrhythms courses at the “Conservatoire Royal” in Liège under the guidance of Michel Massot and Garrett List.
He composes numerous music pieces for short films’ projects, children’s puppet shows and theater plays. Naturally curious, his thurst for knowledge and versatile experiences brings him to find interest in many artistic disciplines. Amongst them, illustration, comics, art therapy, theatrical improvisation, danse, “lutherie sauvage”, video, stop-motion, cinema and teaching.
Moreover, David works in two centres of expression and creativity (Atelier Graffiti in Liège/Les Z’ateliers from Houffalize) as an illustrator and accompanies children and adults in expressing themselves through various forms of creative arts. He also proposes many pluridisciplinary artistic formations and workshops in Belgium as well as abroad. Since 2014, he has been studying somatotherapy in order to enrich his global human knowledge with benevolence, strength and determination. In 2006, he represents Belgium for an international contest of silent film music, “Strade Del Cinema”. He takes the third place, along with pianist Baptiste Vaes.
He’s also the bassist of “Valetlesbateleurs”, “Isamia” and “Undo3”.
Robert Ivanov (Drums)
Robert Ivanov was born in Luxembourg and grew up in a family of musicians. At the age of 7, he attended the „Conservatoire de Musique de la ville Luxembourg“ to study classical percussion. Soon after, he started playing the drumset with first public appearances in Luxembourg from 1994 on. In 2002, he moved to Munich to pursue college studies in jazz drums at Hochschule für Musik und Theater, from which he graduated with masters degrees.
He finds himself at home in numerous styles, playing solid rock backbeats and subtle jazz rhythms, backed up by the theoretical knowledge of a classical musician. He leads his own pop/rock band IRON Hand and is in demand for sessions with musicians of the jazz and pop/rock scene in Munich and Berlin.